Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2018

Targeted




This blog is my story of my journey through workplace bullying.  Other names for the phenomena, which is becoming increasingly prevalent in the media, are workplace abuse; small “h” harassment (versus big “H” harassment which are offenses covered by Human Rights legislation); and psychological harassment.  My story is based on my feelings, thoughts, opinions, perceptions and assumptions, so while the aggressors and by-standers may well see things differently and have a different story to tell or rather a different slant to the story, this is my story only.  Not theirs.

It is not told with malice.  It is told to get the message out.  To put a face on the faceless.   To give those a voice whose voice has been silenced over and over again.  To show in a real story what can happen when HR, management and the union all abdicate their responsibilities toward one targeted individual.

Workplace bullying is real.  It is vicious.  It has the power to destroy people , to force people out of their workplace, thus ending their ability to not only financially support themselves, but can (and often does) have long-term repercussions which can lead to disability  (I call them altered abilities) and an altered lifestyle.

As I’ve said before this is my story from my point of view.  Nothing more.

My story doesn’t begin with a loud clap of thunder.  As in most cases of workplace bullying, it  began innocently enough.  A few disturbing incidents but nothing worth getting up in the middle of the night and calling home about (to clone a phrase).

In fact, when I first entered this workplace in 2005, it had all the markings of a good place to work.

*****

If I had been able to, this would have made a great first post for this blog.  But at that time, I was bound by fear.  I was after reading the "complaint" which in reality was a petition signed by all except one co-worker on all three shifts in my small office, I was terrified of what they would do to me if I said anything.  If I did anything to draw attention to them.

After signing the exit agreement, I told the Union VP that I was scared of what they might do to me. He replied, "That nothing would happen that I did not initiate."  I burst out, "How did getting sick initiate this?"

I truly did not understand how having a second stress background and getting leave to try to recover initiated this kind of backlash.

Therefore, I was afraid to say anything to anyone, to do anything.  

I lived in fear ... of them ... of future repercussions ... of things that go bump in the night ....

*****

This is my story.

Not just of workplace bullying.

But about recovery.

New beginnings.

It is a story of ups and downs; mountaintops and valleys.

Ultimately, it is a story of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment