Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Surviving Workplace Abuse - financial repercussions



Our mini vacation is drawing to an end.  It's time to go back home - and face our present reality.  Hopefully with slightly different eyes and more hope for a better tomorrow.

Our reality as a couple post workplace abuse includes that of financial constraints and difficulties which I haven't mentioned before in this blog.

I haven't worked since all the drama at the workplace.  It's not that I haven't wanted to; however, each time I would take a step - or a thought - in that direction, the physical problems would reassert themselves.

At one point, I itched so badly over most of my body that even having something touching me was unbearable.  And let's face it, even the most relaxed dress code doesn't allow for nudity in the workplace.

The fatigue, I think, has been one of the worst affects.  Especially in the beginning.  Any time I would try to do something to move forward and regain what I had lost,  even a small thing like taking a walk, would cause so much fatigue that I would sleep for long periods of time for days afterwards.   Again, it helps to be able to be able to show up for work when scheduled.

But the most dramatic affect which affected both of us, was our loss of income.  For a short period of time, I had an exit package which tided us over the beginning period.  As that period drew to an end, I was worried about how we were going to manage the transition from two full-time paycheques to one.  I needn't have worried - at least about that.  Because we didn't go from two to one; we went from two to none.

Hubby was unexpectedly laid off from his job of 14 years without notice.  So, we went from two paycheques and benefits to zero - in about two weeks flat.

Try it sometime.  I doubt you're going to like it.  We didn't.

Since then, our life has been a constant struggle trying to find full-time lasting employment for hubby.

We've found short-term gigs but nothing that has become permanent.  For the last year, hubby has been driving patient transfer.  What began with high hopes has become a bust as the hours and the pay just isn't there.  Neither are the benefits.  There have been some weeks when he's cleared a little over $100/week.  Try living on that, folks.  It ain't easy.

We've been living on our savings and watching it continually dwindle.

I think this is one of the most draining aspects of life post workplace abuse.  Something that's rarely mentioned.  Yet, it needs to be mentioned and recognized as part and parcel of the experience.

Severely reduced financial circumstances are part of our lives.

Yet, we have each other.  Our relationship has grown and strengthened through the journey.  We've learned to honour and value each other in ways that we might not otherwise.  We've learned to realize what each other's strengths and weaknesses are and to learn to rely on  the other's strengths.

We've grown both as individuals and as a couple.

To this morning after I push the final button and publish this posting, we head back to our reality post workplace abuse.  

But we head back refreshed by these few days away together.


Until tomorrow ....

No comments:

Post a Comment